realjimbob

REALJimBob

Erase Me - Margaret Atwood I remain to be convinced of the wonders of serial short fiction. On the one hand, I like the idea of getting my fiction in doses – I read a lot of series after all – but I think the authors feel the pressure to include too much 'previously on' than they would in a conventional book chapter. But, with four to five months between publication of each chapter, the reader could be forgiven for having forgotten exactly what went on before. Hopefully [a:Atwood|3472|Margaret Atwood|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1282859073p2/3472.jpg] will be putting this series through some judicious editing before it's considered for publication as a single volume.

All that said, this chapter (I can't bring myself to call them anything else) in her Positron series marked an important turning point in my relationship with both Stan and Charmaine. For the first time I found myself not finding them stupid and irritating. Instead I started to feel a bit sorry for them. Both trapped in this prison/community Consilience, they are becoming increasingly aware that they're just pawns in whatever larger game the Consilience security team are playing. Stan spends most of the story coming round from the injection that Jocelyn gave him in the previous chapter, unable to move, and waiting for whatever fate Charmaine will give him. Charmaine in her turn is finally allowed back to the job she takes such pride in: administering fatal injections to the original members of the Positron prison. Obviously, she can't afford to mess up her first injection no matter who it is.

Not much happens really, the things set in motion in the previous chapter come to fruition, but we knew, more or less, what was expected from both Stan and Charmaine. But that shouldn't be seen as a bad thing. Not every chapter in a novel can be action packed, or full of revelations. There have to be chapters that allow the characters to develop a little and give you a reason to keep reading. [b:Erase Me|17164350|Erase Me (Positron, #3)|Margaret Atwood|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1356576070s/17164350.jpg|23590701] is one of those.