realjimbob

REALJimBob

Slaughterhouse-Five - Kurt Vonnegut I wasn't at all sure what to expect with this, I'd never read any Vonnegut before and the reviews appeared to be somewhat mixed. It's an odd novel though, Billy Pilgrim is a man out of time. Constantly jumping from one point of his life to another and then on again. Like a series of the TV series Quantum Leap, but always back into his own life. However, unlike Quantum Leap, Billy isn't trying to correct time or even ensure it remains on track. He is, instead, an impassive observer of his own life. He knows what is going to happen and he plays his part.

This lack of involvement in his own life is, in part, explained by Billy having been abducted by aliens at one point in his life. Taken to their home world for observation and they explained to him that they see time differently to us. To them, all things that have, are and will be are all observed at the same time. The present has no special significance to them.

In all, interesting novel. I liked it, but I didn't love it. I wouldn't recommend it to everybody, but people who want to try something different might enjoy it. Even if you don't, it's not that long...