realjimbob

REALJimBob

Let the Right One in - John Ajvide Lindqvist An interesting approach to the vampire mythos - at least none of them sparkle. Attempting to address a lot of the darker themes around vampirism and with strong themes around paedophilia - how else does a 200+ year old vampire trapped in a 12 year old's body get looked after on their own? The story centres around two young children and their developing friendship/dependency. One a 200+ year old vampire, the other a young boy who is being systematically bullied at school and starting to develop almost psychotic fantasies as a result.

While I found the book gripping, a lot of the characterisation seemed almost clinical. I'm not sure if this is a result of the translation into English or more just the style of the Author. I found the Stieg Larsson translations quite similar. Strangely there are also a number of secondary characters who seem to get a lot of attention - whole sections describing their point of view - yet seem to have very little involvement in actually driving the story forward.